This 8 minute version of our film is posted on our Youtube channel, and has had over 80,000 views and rising. Included in this version is much of what the British girls discovered when they visited Bremen in 2009. The full film was premiered in Bremen and Darlington in December 2009.
Beauty and the Bike is available in both PAL and NTSC formats. The 2011 edition of the DVD now includes a 26 minute version of the film, as well as the original full length and 8 minute versions, making its use in public discussions more flexible. We have also added a new short follow-up film made in 2010 by one of the young women from Darlington , journalist Lauren Pyrah, What Happened Next?
Reviews of our film have appeared in a number of publications, including:
Austin on Two Wheels:
“The filmmakers have provided a film that will not only spark conversation but make you want to go out and make its vision a reality.”
“We have no one but ourselves to blame for planning our towns “through the windscreen"
"Illuminating look at the factors that put teenage girls off cycling."
“Beauty and the Bike is a great film/book/project.”
- Running Time: 55mins PAL (57 mins NTSC)
- Directed by Richard Grassick & Beatrix Wupperman
- Produced by Darlington Media Group
- Languages : English & German
- Subtitles : English, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech
- Format: PAL or NTSC
- 8 minute short version (PAL and NTSC)
- special 26 minute version
- Follow Up film : What Happened Next? (English only)
- Slide show of images by photographers Sabine Bungert & Phil Dixon (PAL and NTSC)